Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Farmer and the Stork

  • A Farmer placed nets on his newly-sown ploughlands and caught a number of Cranes, which came to pick up his seed.
  • With them he trapped a Stork that had fractured his leg in the net and was earnestly beseeching the Farmer to spare his life.
  • "Pray save me, Master," he said, "and let me go free this once. My broken limb should excite your pity.
  • Besides, I am no Crane, I am a Stork, a bird of excellent character; and see how I love and slave for my father and mother.
  • Look too, at my feathers-- they are not the least like those of a Crane." The Farmer laughed aloud and said,
  • "It may be all as you say, I only know this: I have taken you with these robbers, the Cranes, and you must die in their company."
  • Birds of a feather flock together. The End.