Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Beware the Dog : Roald Dahl [5 of 32]

  • I lost a leg today. But I don't mind so long as you don't. It doesn't even hurt. We'll go everywhere in cars.
  • I always hated walking, except when I walked down the street of the coppersmiths in Bagdad, but I could go in a rickshaw.
  • I could go home and chop wood, but the head always flies off the ax. Hot water, that's what it needs;
  • put it in the bath and make the handle swell. I chopped lots of wood last time I went home, and I put the ax in the bath. . . .
  • Then he saw the sun shining on the engine cowling of his machine. He saw the rivets in the metal, and he remembered where he was.
  • He realized that he was no longer feeling good; that he was sick and giddy. His head kept falling forward onto his chest because
  • his neck seemed no longer to have any strength. But he knew that he was flying the Spitfire, and he could feel the handle of the stick
  • between the fingers of his right hand. I'm going to pass out, he thought. Any moment now I'm going to pass out.