Friday, May 28, 2010

  • "Why, yes, I am," answered the figure; "they're doing a pretty brisk business in my way, over in England and France just now,
  • and my time is a good deal taken up." "Do you drink?" said the baron, touching the bottle with the bowl of his pipe.
  • "Nine times out of ten, and then very hard," rejoined the figure, drily. "Never in moderation?" asked the baron.
  • "Never," replied the figure, with a shudder, "that breeds cheerfulness." The baron took another look at his new friend,
  • whom he thought an uncommonly queer customer, and at length inquired whether he took any active part in such little proceedings
  • as that which he had in contemplation. "No," replied the figure evasively; "but I am always present."
  • "Just to see fair, I suppose?" said the baron. "Just that," replied the figure playing with the stake, and examining the ferule.