Saturday, July 3, 2010

Beware the Dog : Roald Dahl [15 of 32]

  • The aircraft was always far away, and soon the noise faded away into the distance. Later on there was another.
  • This one, too, was far away, but there was the same deep undulating bass and the high singing tenor, and there was no mistaking it.
  • He had heard that noise every day during the battle. He was puzzled. There was a bell on the table by the bed.
  • He reached out his hand and rang it. He heard the noise of footsteps down the corridor, and the nurse came in.
  • "Nurse, what were those airplanes?" "I'm sure I don't know. I didn't hear them. Probably fighters or bombers.
  • I expect they were returning from France. Why, what's the matter?" "They were JU-88's. I'm sure they were JU-88's.
  • I know the sound of the engines. There were two of them. What were they doing over here?"