Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [3 of 128]

  • When I get near Buildicon I stare up. The windows are dirty, dusty. I walk through the parking garage to the foyer. Bankers, lawyers pass.
  • Then I see faithful Buildicon workers--all people like me who infest this building. I silently curse the elevator. The doors open.
  • I step in. I beg for this to not be the time I get stuck as it chugs toward the third floor. "Please, not me today.
  • I didn't eat a hearty breakfast..." Elevator sickness... Are there rooms ants hate, that grubs detest? A type of wood chamber for a termite
  • --a moment when a cocoon is a prison? "I don't care if I get stuck in the elevator. As long as you do my work."
  • That's what Mulani, a true time-managed Buildicon employee, says.
  • Such kernels of truth are nothing a Rolex after five years of faithful employment can fix. The doors swing open. I walk toward marketing.