Sunday, July 11, 2010

Beware the Dog : Roald Dahl [21 of 32]

  • She rinsed the flannel in the basin, wiped the soap off his leg, and dried him with a towel. "It's nice to be washed," he said.
  • "I feel better." He was feeling his face with his hands. "I need a shave." "We'll do that tomorrow," she said.
  • "Perhaps you can do it yourself then." That night he could not sleep. He lay awake thinking of the Junkers 88's and
  • of the hardness of the water. He could think of nothing else. They were JU-88's, he said to himself. I know they were.
  • And yet it is not possible, because they would not be flying around so low over here in broad daylight. I know that it is true,
  • and yet I know that it is impossible. Perhaps I am ill. Perhaps I am behaving like a fool and do not know what I am doing or saying.
  • Perhaps I am delirious. For a long time he lay awake thinking these things, and once he sat up in bed and said aloud,