Sunday, October 3, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [60 of 128]

  • I'm dumbfounded as usual. "What? How? Why? I say. Suddenly I feel like I'm caught in a bad cubicle sitcom. Katie seems to be fluffing.
  • "Oh God you men are so dumb" she says. "What is it with my boobs you don't like anyway? See those two businessmen sitting over there?"
  • Me: "What about them?" They sit drinking coffee. Katie: "They're putty. Look how they stare at me. They're wondering the eternal question."
  • Me: "What's that?" Katie: "Are they real?" She looks down at her breasts then back up. "Big dumb men." Me: "Most of us are."
  • Lying in bed looking at the stucco ceiling. It's like my life: a bunch of splatter in a box; white paint hides the unevenness.
  • I imagine Katie Starburn crawling across the stucco like some kind of fake-boobed demon queen in a big pink coat. I turn on my side.