Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [80 of 128]

  • Mike: "Can anyone?" Me: "That's not the point." Mike's beer looks flat as he says, "Would life be any better under a different manager?"
  • On the bar TV the evening anchorman is talking about a political tea party by the downtown civic center. "Look at that guy," Mike says.
  • "That's about one political party unhappy with those in power," he adds. "They're never satisfied. It's always a power struggle."
  • The anchorman has perfect dark hair, a perfect suit. He looks like he runs 20 miles a day. "Maybe he feels corporate stress," Mike says.
  • Me: "That guy? He's a celebrity talking head." I chug my beer. Mike: "I bet he eats fast-food like the rest of us. He has a boss too."
  • Me: "You're telling me that @KiyoshiTomono has it rough? He gets free haircuts and suit cleaning. Mike: "And that makes life easy?"
  • Me: "Look, Milt is a micro-manager. How could it get any worse? I'd like a little credit for my intelligence."
  • Mike: "You don't get it. Managers aren't in this world to be liked. They're here to get production out of workers like you and me."