Saturday, January 15, 2011

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [120 of 128]

  • I back up to Vishnu's computer and beg forgiveness before gazing into its perfect static-free screen. He points to something I can't see.
  • "Do you not see it?" Vishnu cries. Me: "I'm looking." Vishnu: "There! Do you see it now??" I clear my throat at the Web Master's horror...
  • "Someone added an asterisk?" I ask. Vishnu nods. He looks pale. Me: "Oh my God." Vishnu: "It is the work of unbelievers."
  • Me: "They should just let you work your magic." Vishnu: "With you, I could not agree more." And that's it. Vishnu loses himself in the Web.
  • Seems like days have passed. But Joan is still at my desk. I'm in tiptoe mode. "I am giving them an hour," she says. Me: "Until what?"
  • Joan: "It's ungodly!" It's like Vishnu's wrath has possessed her. Me: "Is there an asterisk out of place?" Joan fumes.
  • “See the U.S. flag outside my window?” Joan says. “I went to NiceJob and said, ‘Your flag is upside-down.’ I was laughed out the door.”
  • This is a serious mission. Forget memories of Milt Butterlink. We can now use company time to preserve our American way of life.