Sunday, January 16, 2011

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [121 of 128]

  • Me: "What more patriotic act could there be than to thwart the forces of evil while on the clock?" Joan: "I'll kill." I believe her.
  • Me: "Did you call the newspaper?" Joan: "No. But I want that flag fixed." Me: "What about the cavalry?" Joan: "I am the cavalry."
  • I start to dial the newspaper. Joan: "I'll call the Marines." I hang up and think again. "Should I call Jay Leno?"
  • Joan rushes out the door just as two Marines show up to stage a takeover of the thrift store flagpole. Joan: "These boys respect the flag!"
  • "NiceJob isn't very nice, is it?" I say. Mulani shakes her head. The next day Joan makes headline news. Buildicon management is oblivious.
  • Joan suddenly is in full Olympic regalia. Her entire desk is a star-spangled mess of red, white and blue plastic cups and mini flags.
  • While I'm in a perfectly good flag-waving mood, Kira de Frito suddenly tears a photo from my cubicle wall. "Easter fink!" she screams.