Friday, January 21, 2011

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [126 of 128]

  • Mrs. Bagworm scoots closer. The frowning earwig that has been speaking in the farmer's ear scampers down his shirt, disappears.
  • "If you don't do it, I will tell all the bagworms to multiply and eat the trees.
  • The snails will multiply and eat the undergrowth," she says While the farmer sits silent, she looks at the blue bugs.
  • She watches them buzz in circles. Several walking sticks nod their approval. “Threats. Empty threats,” says the farmer.
  • The dream drifts further down the tunnel. Half awake I can almost see him as he swats toward her voice.
  • She dives out of the way as his large hand hits the table. Since he is blind, his aim is poor. She and the other bugs scatter.
  • I wake to see flashing lights pass the window. A siren blasts. Tiny shadows drift across my ceiling and crash into cobwebs.
  • For some reason I start searching beneath my pillow, then under the pillow next to that. I feel along the floor, then on the nightstand.
  • I find my cell phone. Sometimes I feel it's the only thing I own.