Friday, August 27, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [29 of 128]

  • Eleven.
  • I ask: "Does anybody know Vishnu's real name?" Mike: "I think it's Sam Vishnukuku." "Oh come on," I say.
  • "Seriously. Check him out. He seems to go into hibernation at his desk. You think he's sleeping but he's not. Not at all. It's perplexing."
  • Vishnu sits in near slumber. His screen changes. Updates are made, download buttons are created, links form. His lids are half-closed.
  • I can hear the mouse click, but Vishnu doesn't change position. His hand never seems to move. I swear his body is about to levitate.
  • Vishnu is from New Delhi, a city not filled with elephant tusks or nectar water torture. It's as advanced as the rest of the Free World.
  • He sits at his Web post like a guardian to a realm of many-armed gods and says, "You think I am sleeping but I am not.
  • What's your problem?" "I have no problem, Vish." "Yes, you are staring." "I don't know what you're talking about."
  • "You are staring at me because I'm Indian."