Monday, August 30, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [31 of 128]

  • "That is New Delhi. It is a place of ancient wonder. We even have McDonalds," Vishnu says. I am in awe of his city. He is in awe of the Web
  • He humbly accepts his Web pages as his creations, his work in the corporate sphere. I can see that. I extend an olive branch.
  • "Hey Vish, some of us are going to a bar tonight to shoot some pool. I thought you'd want to go." "Really?" he says. "You'd fit in," I say.
  • There are now two preying mantis. They're statues, pale green, eyes like opals, with arms tucked in quiet worship of walls and windows.
  • I'm fascinated with their bug world. They seem to silently socialize as if my entire living room were a lawn filled with infinite dreams.
  • It's not that I always take time to think about little things. But adults no longer fascinated about small places in life tend to bore me.
  • I imagine the smallest boxing match in the world. The darker mantis knocks the block off its pale friend. They both wear tiny boxing gloves
  • At the bar Vishnu sinks the 8-ball before any of us get a chance to shoot. Mulani pouts, sticks out her bottom lip: "I didn't get a turn."