Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [38 of 128]

  • Mulani hangs over me. "Nice," she mocks. "And you colored in the lines." Mike shakes his head. "I need a third grader to do it," I admit.
  • I need one sentence approved to finalize this month's e-newsletter. It's taken five days to write the stupid sentence. Am I inefficient?
  • The problem is, each time I show the sentence to Milt he says the same thing: "It needs some shiny pizzazz. Make it freakin' Hollywood."
  • This is technical data. I interviewed two product developers and a tech support engineer. It's not enough. This job is a battle.
  • How can Milt expect me to know technical data when I can't even build a paper version with slots in it? And no, I can't color in the lines!
  • The tech support office is a nerdy war zone with everyone on a headset solving a wireless protocol automation crisis
  • somewhere in the world. I feel like Dan Rather trying to get a story. I say:
  • "How does a Radioblast work over Ethernet when running twelve robo-flippers?" I’m ignored by the tech nerds.
  • So I determine the only answer I can from the land of high waters: I’ll write the newsletter next month.