Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [55 of 128]

  • Milt: "I need to fire somebody." Me: "Fire yourself." Milt seems to contemplate that idea for a moment. His wooden fingers twitch.
  • Me: "I'm not in the firing business." Milt: "I need a name." I admit I'm tempted. Kira de Frito, Joan...a toss up. They're both worthless.
  • Milt insists on taking the department out to lunch so he can observe everyone in close proximity. He decides on a really bad Italian dive.
  • Right away, Joan starts talking about her ailments because she thinks that's what you do when you gather for lunch with workmates.
  • Mike gags. I'm ignoring the latest about her fragile kidneys. Instead I'm watching Milt who watches Mike build a tower of utensils and
  • other objects. Joan: "It's the third time I've gone to the hospital for this infection." Milt stares at Mike's tower.
  • Joan's eyes turn red with rage. Joan: "And in the middle of the night I can barely get to the toilet."
  • Milt mutters under his breath: "C'mon, Mike!" Mulani giggles. The tower crashes and Milt looks sad. He turns to Joan.
  • "What?" She storms off. Kira de Frito does too for no reason. Mike: "That was cool."
  • Corporate America always seems in near riot over the trivial. I call it the "Cubepocalypse." We're always on the verge of one.