Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Small Places : Nick L Belardes [39 of 128]

  • Thirteen.
  • Today I'm at work surfing the Internet. What more can I do to take up boredom than to stream mindless media straight onto my desktop?
  • The Drudgereport is scamming there's been another shark attack. For some reason I think it might be my ex. Worse things have happened.
  • I can imagine my ex on Oprah, sobbing, wearing a fake arm that's Gumby-like and bent to look like she's the victim of the shark kingdom.
  • Ex: "I was paddling, stuck in a half circle, trying to get away. I could see my fingers wiggle as he swallowed." And then Oprah would cry.
  • I'm feeling dysfunctional. It's a cubicle thing. Confined, I don't feel like I'm helping the collective. I bring my pet tarantula to work.
  • The spider’s name is Ms. Barbarella Big Fangs. She’s hairy. She eats crickets. Milt Butterlink sees her and instantly stops at my desk.
  • Milt: "You can't bring a spider to work." Me: "It's not real." Milt: "It's real." Me. "It's not real." Milt: "I know it's real."
  • Me: "Nope."